Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:51:26 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CSS authentication for DVD-ROMs

Sean Eric Fagan wrote:

> >Given the recent posting of DVD movie decryption code (see Slashdot
> >for details), I was wondering if there was interest for code that
> >does CSS authentication for DVD-ROM drives.
>
> I looked at the slashdot posts, and was surprised (I guess) to see that nobody
> seems to know about the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.  Part of which makes
> it a copyright violation (at $2500/copy distributed) to "manufacture or
> distribute technology" which can be used to bypass encryption of digital
> works.  E.g., DVDs.
>
> I'm reasonably sure that parts of this will be struck down for constitutional
> reasons, but until it is... it's a very risky thing to do.

Not every country has the same stupid "copyright" laws as the US.

Who cares anyway that they think they can rule the world?

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch