Date:      04 Oct 2002 19:50:30 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        xxavi@MyRealBox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: floppy disk

xxavi@MyRealBox.com writes:

[huge quote]

> Hi, what do you mean when you say filesystem?

(You could have asked that question without quoting most of the thread.)

Anyway, I just wanted to guess that "vfstab" means "Virtual FileSystem
TABle", which I think is an (optional?) feature of FreeBSD 5.0 (AKA
CURRENT).  It would probably be better for a beginner to run
4.6.2-RELEASE or maybe -STABLE, if possible.

I agree that it sounds like "file $(which mount)" will indicate that
"mount" is a script, but I don't know what to do with that info.

As for
    grep: /etc/vfstab: No such file or directory
    grep: /etc/vfstab: No such file or directory
    mount: /dev/fd0: Device not configured

We need someone who knows the virtual device scheme to know
how /dev/fd0 would be created/supported/whatever.  Or is
/drives/fd the virtual device?  The mount command want's that
to be an existing directory.  Is the virtual device configured
by kernel build configuration, or boot-time, or device-need-time?