Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 20:48:17 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: egcs port fails to compile

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 brian@worldcontrol.com wrote:

> /var/tmp/ccVF1so1.s: Assembler messages:
> /var/tmp/ccVF1so1.s:127: Error: Alignment not a power of 2
> gmake[2]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1

I successfully made an ELF version of egcs-19980921 last night, by doing a
'configure --host=i386-unknown-freebsdelf,' and then editing gcc/Makefile and
deleting the two references to the java subdirectory (this was giving me
compile errors).

The port doesn't currently build an ELF compiler and probably isnt much use if
you just build it without the above tweak.

I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding the 3.0 source tree  with the new
compiler to see if there are any other gotchas with it. (currently only the
same old problems have been showing up with certain bits nt being buildable
for various reasons).

Kris