Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:48:53 -0600
From:      Joshua Kampmeier <unixpunx83@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking to build an HPC cluster.

Hey Everyone,

I have recently become increasingly interested in building a cluster at
home(for the knowledge) so that I may be able to incorporprate one at work.
I have 4 identical machines (i know this isn't required, but it will make
things easier on my part). They are just Gateway desktops - 933mhz 128MB RA=
20GB HDD. One of them has 256MB RAM and an additional 60GB HDD that I was
planning to use a an NFS export for /home. I have been looking for
documentation/books for FreeBSD clustering, but there doesn't seem to be a
lot on the subject. I have seen the Fellowship and read through that. If
anyone can point me to any books, or documentation online, that would be
great. I am looking at using Open-MPI for the clustering. I hope that's a
good choice?

Another question I had is: In the techTV show from...a while back... with
Brooks and and Matt Olander doing the FreeBSD cluster, Matt had mentioned
that 'The Matrix' was rednered on a FreeBSD cluster. In regards to that, ca=
a FreeBSD cluster provide processing power to Windows-based applications, o=
were they using some kind of unix-based graphics rendering tool? To get a
little more in depth: Our enterprise software at work is 'H.M.S. for
Windows' from HAB, Inc. It is for public housing operations management. The
thing is, this software is all done with Gupta SQLbase and Centura... Our
current server is a dual-xeon with 3 GB of RAM, serving about 100 clients.
Most of the time, it is sufficient. Sometimes, during the early afternoon i=
can become rather sluggish, and I was just curious if there would possibly
be any way to push some of the processing poer for generating reports and
whatnot to a small cluster running FreeBSD. I have feeling this ins't
possible... but I know nothing about clustering, so hopefully someone can
tell me that I have a good idea, or that I'm barking up the wrong tree
entirely.

Thanks