Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 01:12:53 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cannot perform make install

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:05:10 -0500
Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 17:28, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > I have installed FreeBSD 5.1 on my laptop and have successfully
> > installed KDE and other apps by going to the appropriate ports
> > directory and performing a 'make install clean'.
> >
> > However, when I tried to install nautilus by going to
> > /usr/ports/x11-fm/nautilus and typing 'make install clean' (without
> > the quotes, of course), I'm getting the following error:
> >
> > make:  don't know how to make install. Stop
> >
> > If I just use make, I get:
> >
> > make:  no target to make.

Do a ls and see if you have a Makefile :)
You probably have only a readme.html file in that directory which is the
reason the directory itself wasn't deleted by cvsup.

it# grep nautilus /usr/ports/MOVED
www/nautilus-gtkhtml||2003-05-11|maintenance discontinued
x11-fm/nautilus||2003-07-15|removed as part of GNOME 1.4 desktop phase
out

The port /usr/ports/x11-fm/nautilus does not exist anymore.
Try /usr/ports/x11-fm/nautilus2.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user