Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:14:51 -0600
From:      Will Maier <willmaier@ml1.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap - 2 HDs

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:33:57AM -0300, Aguiar Magalhaes wrote:
> I have a machine with: dual processor AMD 64 bits, 4
> GB RAM and 2 HDs SCSI 73 GB.
>
> How can I configure the swap area ?

If you haven't completed the install, make the swap during the
install when you configure the disks. If you've already finished the
install, the Handbook has a section[0] describing methods for adding
swap.

> Is It recommended to configure  swap area in both HDs ??

I don't see the point -- swap is where pages that don't fit in your
real memory go. It's less optimal than real memory in terms of
latency, but I don't see how two disks would make swap performance
much better.

> How large ??

I'd suggest 1-4G of swap depending on whether you need to read full
dumps of the kernel/memory for debugging. If you don't, you'll
probably be fine with a lesser amount of swap, unless you'll be
running applications which will overload the memory.

[0] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/adding-swap-space.html

--

| jabber:..wcmaier@jabber.ccc.de | email:..........wcmaier@ml1.net |