Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:24:42 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different OS's? Marketshare

Mike Hauber writes:

> Hmmm...  I tend to view a wm about the same way I view win.exe
> (not in the disrespectful way, of course) in the respect that
> it's real purpose is to provide a pretty point and click menu
> system (which I'm not knocking).  It's very usefull and
> palletable to some, usually not a necessity, and downright
> apalling to others.

I just want a X window system that will give me some experience with
UNIX GUIs.  I don't actually intend to run one on my production server,
but since this machine (the one I'm discussing now) will become a sort
of test machine, I can afford to take more chances with it.

> I mentioned that blackbox is what I use for administrative logins
> because you have to build it from the ground up (not in any
> literal sense (ie, not from a wm-developers point of view), but
> from the wm-user's view (for instance, I find the default menu
> (the purpose of the wm) to be pretty bare for my taste and
> therefore needs to be customized (built up).
>
> Make sense?  Hope I wasn't any more confusing.  :)

I suppose it will make more sense as I gather more experience.  I
haven't found any comprehensive and succinct documentation on X (the
classic problem of documentation in computerland).

--
Anthony