Date:      Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

Wow. this thread really took a turn for the worse. So getting back to the m=
ain =0Atopic about SIP phones, I have been using SIP phones since 2006 and =
I never =0Afound anything that worked under FreeBSD. Mainly for this reason=
 and this reason =0Aseems to mirror where this thread went off topic.=0A=0A=
While I could make something work on my end, because I'm a hobbyist, I coul=
d not =0Aget my friends, family, co-workers, customers, etc... to make anyt=
hing work, =0Aeven in the M$ environment. The main reason is that hackers i=
n this world have =0Acaused all of us to in one way or another deploy firew=
alls. And I would say that =0A99% of the non-hobbyists out there don't have=
 a clue how to configure their =0Afirewall, indeed many of them don't even =
know they have one working. Whether =0Ait's M$ built-in firewall or the fir=
ewall on their ISP supplied router/modem, or =0Athe hotel they are staying =
at is blocking SIP ports. Unless you can get the =0Aperson on the other end=
 to receive your phone call then very little works. Which =0Ais a real sham=
e because as a hobbyist I have done some really neat things with =0ASIP pho=
nes, Asterisk, not to mention VPN and other packages. But without another =
=0Ahobbyist on the other end, its proved more than impossible to get things=
 working =0Awhich I could really use on a daily basis.=0A=0AOh and just in =
case...I use Asterisk on FreeBSD-8.2-STABLE as my PBX for my =0Aprivate=A0h=
ome office. I connect via SIP with a VOIP provider who provides not =0Aonly=
 phone service but a DID as well. I use SIP phones (actual phones, not =0As=
oftware) to make my SOHO appear to be a=A0professional corporate office wit=
h =0Atransfers, conference calls, Music on hold, voice mail, the works. I =
=0Aoccassionally use an IAX softphone or SIP softphone program on Windows t=
o make =0Aand receive calls but for the most part I use the actual phones. =
Several friends =0Aand family members have asked me to set them up similarl=
y but unless I could =0Amake it totally handsfree for them there is no way =
it will ever work, simply =0Abecause they are not hobbyists like me and hav=
e no desire to do anything but =0Aclick a big button on their desktop which=
 looks like a phone. Anything beyond =0Athat and you're into the realm of i=
mpossible....again.