Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:38:29 +0100
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        gaf <moak@bredband.net>, Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /tmp full (newbie)

--Boundary-02=_ZJ/KAFqEgWaDnMT

On Thursday 12 February 2004 22.05, Jez Hancock wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:44:27PM +0100, gaf wrote:
> > Thank you for answering. I?d hoped not to reinstall but.....
> > Partitioning is no problem, I?ve installed all versions from 4.8 to5.2
> > on my old computer just for training and trying.
>
> The problem with the current scheme is you have only 4Gb or so for
> everything apart from /home - I don't have KDE / X installed, but I'm
> fairly sure KDE on it's own would eat up 3-4Gb of space without too much
> problem.  If you reinstalled I'd say assign 20Gb to /usr if you're going
> to use KDE.

This is way *way* overestimated.  du -sh on my /usr/local shows 3.6Gb - tha=
t's=20
with *two* installations of KDE (one in it's own prefix, still in /usr/loca=
l=20
though), an unpacked set of sources for it, a jdk (hey, they're getting=20
pretty big these days), and a fairly full install of GNOME to boot.   Plus=
=20
various other random things.  I would hate to see how much you'd have to=20
install to fill up 20 Gb of /usr, especially with a separate /home.    On t=
he=20
other hand, I can find a million ways to fill up as much /home as I'm given=
,=20
and I frequently do (fill it up, that is)

With some judicious cleaning up of the cruft in /usr/ports/* (try portsclea=
n,=20
part of the portupgrade suited), possibly nuking /usr/obj (although you'll=
=20
want space back for that if you build world again) and some investigation=20
into maybe rolling over logs more often, and emptying out /tmp,  there's no=
=20
pressing reason the OP should need to repartiiton and reinstall, especially=
=20
not for the sake of either KDE or GNOME. =20

I think for most people the installers auto defaults are not pretty workabl=
e,=20
and that merging the suggested file systems is probably not advisable until=
=20
you have more experience with the system and know what your pattern of usag=
e=20
really is.

Regards,
=2D-=20