Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:32:24 -0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_Patrick_Swift?= <bjorn@innn.is>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boot failed - all data lost

Two weeks ago I got the task of setting up a new mail server. The server =
was a Dell PowerEdge 1500SE with a PERC raid controller. We used raid 5. =
I'd been playing with the server for the last two week when I was about =
to move the data over from the old server.

Once the server was in place and had it's new IP address I decided to =
reboot it once for the final time, just to make sure everything was in =
order. While I was at it I entered the BIOS settings and disabled the =
mouse, serial and lpt ports. But then, out of the blue, the machine =
wouldn't boot. I tried restoring the BIOS' factory defaults but without =
any luck.

The first error I got was from the 'FreeBSD Boot Manager'. It started as =
normally and displayed 'F? FreeBSD', but as I struck 'enter' I got a =
'boot failed' message. Then I rebooted the machine again and started =
getting 'No operating system found' messages. I thought that maybe the =
boot record had been damaged so I booted the FreeBSD 4.6-install CD and =
opened fdisk - all space unused, no partitions found. No sign of my data =
at all!

After seeing this I took the machine to my local Dell vendor, but they =
can't find anything wrong with the hardware and ask if this could be =
software caused.

The machine was running FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #3: Thu Aug  1 17:41:45 GMT =
2002.

Anyone have an idea? Any more info I can give (remember, the machine is =
at the Dell vendor) ?

Thanks for your time,
Bjorn Swift