Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:40:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      randall ehren <randall@ucsb.edu>
To:        Paul Armstrong <army@cyber.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd running on a cdrom

> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 06:06:26AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > : Well, while I'd certainly agree with you regarding reliability (BTW, how
> > many : _read_ cycles do contemporary flashdisks support?), there is at least
> > one major : question: where to boot from? especially in the case of
> > standalone : moving-parts-free router ;-)
> >
> > Read cycles is very huge, like 10^10 or so.  The CF parts can be made
> > bootable, so not a problem.

from what i have collected, you can read as much as you want. writing is
what's limited, and for newer cards it's like 10^7...

> The other thing of note is that the CD-ROM is often used because it's
> read-only. Is there a way to make the CF read-only?

besides mounting them read-only from /etc/fstab and setting the kernel
security level as to not allow the use of mount -uw?

 -randall

--
        :// randall s. ehren         :// voice 805.893.5632
        :// systems administrator    :// isber|survey|avss.ucsb.edu