Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 14:33:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE and xdm (additional infos)

Hello!

Here are some additional infos regarding my problem with xdm under
FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE.

Here is the result of 'uname -a'
FreeBSD greatoak.home 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #4: Fri May 19 19:02:23 CEST 2000
     root@greatoak:/usr/src/sys/compile/GREATOAK  i386

with XFree86 3.3.6 packaged on the CDRom.

Today I have noticed that I have to wdm processes:

(as root)# ps -xo pid,ppid,command
  PID  PPID COMMAND
    0     0  (swapper)
    1     0 /sbin/init --
  167     1 /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon ttyv8
  170   167 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -auth /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0
  171   167 /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon ttyv8

If I kill the first one (pid 167) then I can logon!! (but I have no
login screen when I exit)

If I set the terminal to off in /etc/ttys, I have no xdm at all!
Why is there two xdm whereas in my 3.3 installation I have only one?

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 12:29:42PM +0200, Philippe CASIDY wrote:
>> hi!
>>
>> I encounter a strange behavior with xdm. I am doing an installation of
>> FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE on a new hard drive (I am currently using FreeBSD
>> 3.4).
>>
>> After installing XFree using sysinstall, I have modified /etc/ttys to
>> activate xdm:
>> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
>>
>> Then I kill -HUP 1 to rescan ttys.
>>
>> xdm starts.
>>
>> First stangre behavior is that the name of the window is :
>> "W Window System" instead of the hostname.
>>
>> Then, if I try to logon, xdm starts again to ask me again a login and
>> password. If I check the .xsession-errors file of the user, I can read:
>>
>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>> Error: Can't open display: :0
>>
>> This messages appears when xsm tries to start.
>>
>> Another behavior is that if that xdm does not allow me to start a
>> failsafe session by depressing F1 instead of return after password.
>>
>> I would really appreciate any hints!
>>
>> Bye.
>>
>> Phil.

Thanks