Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:33:49 +0200
From:      Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>, Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>
Subject:   This hurts: NT dials in better than FreeBSD

Dear FreeBSD Questions,

This is beginning to hurt. I've set up a FreeBSD 3.1 system to dial into
the Internet for me. Next to it is an NT box with the same purpose. They
have identical modems (Courier I, ISDN modems).

When I dial on the NT box it takes six seconds from [Ok] to *beep*--I'm
in. Hanging up takes three seconds, from [yes] to *beep*--I'm gone.
These times don't vary much even if I connect and disconnect a few times
in a row.

After a clean reboot the FreeBSD box (starting up ppp -auto uunet from
the rc.local file) will also connect in the same six seconds.
Disconnecting happens even faster than on the NT box. However, this is
when it goes wrong. Reconnecting takes minutes, literally. Even in
interactive mode I see the same problem: I dial in after a reboot: I'm
in. "down; dial" causes an expect timeout on the string "CONNECT", and I
cannot get a successful dial for minutes. Terminal mode just freezes
when I enter it after going down.

I have the feeling the modem needs to be reset after going down.
However, I don't know what to do and where. Adding ATZ's and ATH's to
the dial string seems to have no effect. Does anyone know what I am
missing?

Thanks for your input.
	Kees Jan

PS. Please CC me, as I'm not on the mailing list.

PPS. Here is the relevant part of my dmesg(1) output: ================

  sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
  sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
  sio0: type 8250
  sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
  sio1 not found at 0x2f8
  sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa
  sio2: type 16550A
  sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
  sio3 not found at 0x2e8

PPPS. Here is my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf: ===================================

default:
   set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
   set log local Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command

   set speed 115200
   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK
\\dATD\\T TIMEOUT 30 CONNECT"

uunet:
   set device /dev/cuaa2
   set phone 0,0307110810
   set login "ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: MyName word:
MyPasswd"
   set timeout 120
   set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
   add default HISADDR
   enable dns
   alias enable yes