Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:17:43 +0000
From:      Dorian =?iso-8859-1?q?B=FCttner?= <dorian.buettner@gmx.de>
To:        kde-freebsd@kde.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Martin Wilke <miwi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] Call for Testing KDE 4.2 for FreeBSD

On Sunday 01 February 2009 21:02:28 Martin Wilke wrote:
> Howdy Guys,
>
> The KDE FreeBSD team is happy to announce the first public
> Call for Testing for KDE 4.2. Over the past weeks we have
> focused on the complex and very time consuming task to get
> KDE 4.2 running.
>
> What is new:
>
> Where KDE 4.1 was, according to the development team,
> "aimed at casual users", KDE 4.2 is billed as a "compelling
> offering for the majority of end users." There have been further
> enhancements to the plasma desktop with new applets allowing
> better desktop customisation. The configuration options for the
> desktop have also been expanded and the revamped system tray
> shows reports from every conceivable process, from system messages
> to the status of large downloads.
>
> The KWin window manager has learned a couple of new tricks.
> By default, it now switches on 3D and compositing effects automatically,
> on suitable hardware and manages these effects autonomously, without
> the aid of Compiz. With the help of the new Kephal library, the window
> manager now offers additional options for running multiple monitors.
>
> The Dolphin file manager has been partly revised, and should now be
> easier to use. As part of the Google Summer of Code, KMail has been
> redesigned, resulting in both a better appearance and better IMAP support.
> The KDE browser Konqueror also includes several new features.
>
> New supported languages include Arabic, Icelandic, Basque,
> Hebrew, Romanian, Tajik and several Indian languages (Bengali India,
> Gujarati, Kannada, Maithili, Marathi) indicating a rise in popularity in
> this part of Asia.
>
> Some note:
>
> The CFT is now without FreeBSD 6.4 support. We will see
> what we can do over the week now but I do not promise
> that we can get this fixed. If you want to help us, your patches are
> welcome.
>
> We suggest that you exit from KDE4 before you update, backup your ~/.kde4
> configuration dir and start with a clean config.
>
> New Ports:
>
>     arabic/kde4 l10n
>     misc/kde4-l10n-eu
>     hebrew/kde4-l10n
>     misc/kde4-l10n-is
>     misc/kde4-l10n-ro
>     misc/kde4-l10n-tg
>
> Please read UPDATING-area51 before you start your update.
>
> To get KDE 4.2:
>    try
>       svn co https://kf.athame.co.uk/kde-freebsd/trunk/area51/
> /path/to/area51
>
>     More info here:
>       https://kf.athame.co.uk/access.php
>
> Here few screenshots:
>
> http://miwi.bsdcrew.de/screens/kde42/
>
> I'd like to say thanks to all helpers and submitters on the kde-freebsd@
> mailinglist.
>
> That's all for the moment. Happy Testing!
>
> - Martin (on behalf of the KDE FreeBSD team)

Awesome, as far as I can see :-)

My plasmoids and kicker are back working on my nv-based system, propably not
an improvement of kde4.2 but a result of wiping all ports when xorg upgrade to
7.4 failed. Overall speed has improved due to one of those actions.
juk is picky now concerning "'"s and umlauts in filenames, therefore it
doesn't skip tracks anymore with raising info (error) windows.