Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:31:00 +0200
From:      Marian Hettwer <Mh@kernel32.de>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-BETA3 serial console

Hej Jeremy,

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> This could possibly be an issue with your BIOS; "COM1" disabled in the
> BIOS could caus what you're seeing (especially the initial line, "sio0:
> configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0").

D'oh! The serial port was disabled in BIOS ... bloody hell!
Shame on me, or the Linux-using Co-Worker of mine who used this Laptop
before me ...

Well... sorry for the noise :-/

Now it's working (obviously) ...

However... come to think of it, a deadlock because there is no serial
port doesn't sound good to me anyway. If there's no serial port, why not
giving out an error message like "no sio[0,1] available, cannot start
getty on ttyd0" ?

well, thanks anyway for pointing my head into the right direction.

best regards,
Marian