Date:      04 Oct 2002 21:07:55 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        pbdlists@pinboard.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: grub boot loader or freebsd boot loader

pbdlists@pinboard.com writes:

> Grub is very powerful. (I would like to see it as the default boot loader
> on FreeBSD.) But it is not so easy to configure, a bit a steep learning

I would like to see people support and develop the FreeBSD boot loader
or some other loader with a decent license.

The combination of the GPL'd GRUB (or GAG) boot loader and the kernel is
too likely to be considerd by some judge or jury as a derivative of both
parts which is sufficiently unworthy of any of the GPL's nebulous excape
clauses to avoid partial or even total infection.  (Especially when a
dangerously-dedicated-disk install is considered.)  At least, the
FreeBSD core leaders won't take the risk anytime soon, I hope.

I'd prefer to not waste time arguing about the true level of risk as
it is only the core leaders' feelings about the risk that matters much
and we can trust that they'll be copyleft-averse for a good long time.

(You should be able to find the subject debated in the archives.)