Date:      14 Jan 2002 11:58:49 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        ulf@Alameda.net
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can anyone recommend a copyright/trademark lawyer ?

Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net> writes:

> This is a trademark or copyright problem for me and so I need
> a lawyer for this.

I assume you mean they registered it with a domain registrar, not the
trademark office.  While you're looking for a lawyer, you should go to
http://www.uspto.gov/ and google.com and educate yourself about
trademarks.  It's pretty easy reading at USPTO.gov and there's LOTS more
elsewhere.  You can get a non-official determination of whether your
trademarks have been registered by someone else there (and probably an
official one for $).  You can also start registering your marks which
costs a few (3-5?) hundered dollars, but if you can get a lawyer soon,
maybe you should wait; your guess is as good as mine.

There's also a lot to read about the effect of trademark law on
domain names and domain name fights, etc, out on the web.

Some trademark law is http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/1125.html
but there's no substitute for a lawyer if you need to play their game.
But you probably don't want to learn the difference between trademark
and copyright, etc, at lawyer rates.