Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:26:29 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        kenoyer130@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up FTP server

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:43:34 "jon kenoyer" <kenoyer130@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am interested in setting up a dedicated FTP server at our work and
>was wondering what everyone's thoughts were.
>
>Here are the requirements:
>
>Can turn off anonymous access
>custom username/passwords and standard ftp access privilages
>Works with any standard ftp client
>Folders displayed depending on the user browsing.
>Speed is king. This server will only have 3-5 simulataneous
>connections but we have large (300-1 gig) files to move around.
>Anything I can do on the server end to increase the output to the
>clients would help immensely.
>
>Should I go with the standard ftpd or is there a better FTP daemon
>service in the ports collection?

I've been very satisfied with pure-ftpd, though I largely just use it for
personal purposes. (It's in /ports/ftp.)

It may fall a bit short on configurability for what it sounds like you want
to do. AFAIK, only one group can have trusted access. The best thing you
could probably do is to have a trusted access group and chroot the users (by
pure-ftpd command-line options), then the users would be allowed priviledged
access, while being confined to their home directory. I think if you got
creative with null mounts, you could manage access to different resources
from within their home directory. (I'm not going to say too much about that,
though, because I don't really know.)

I've tested it with explorer, netscape, and konqueror; I've never run into a
problem.

I'm unaware of any speed issues with large files.

Peace,
Clayton