Date:      02 Aug 2005 00:28:00 +0200
From:      "Arno J. Klaassen" <arno@heho.snv.jussieu.fr>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Death to toor

Hello,

[ stuff deleted ]

> > > Yes.  Some of us use it.

from a user point of view, I use toor on all machines, basically for
two reasons :

 - I don't feel confident to change default root shell (might
   be wrong but I have had way too many problems "solved" by setting
   SHELL and/or CONFIG_SHELL to yet another one); things are tested with the
   default shell, OK, I use it when running in problems

 - quite a lot of my customors "need/want" root access (including the
   possibility to change it's passwd); keeping a toor account with a well
   kept secret by me passwd saves me a lot of trouble (a part from
   systems needing root passwd for catastrophic single user boot)

My $0.02

Arno

PS, as a side-node I prefer /bin/bash as well since it gave me less
headaches on multiple-architecture sites than trying to understand
all subtle differences between their different default root shells

PS-II, I can add toor by hand anytime; I'm no lawyer nor advocate of
whatsoever; providing a "fake" toor account without standard /bin/bash
in fact is reasonable to me