Date:      Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:57:54 -0400
From:      Jonathan <jonathan@kc8onw.net>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFSKnownProblems - needs revision?

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been pinged by two people already that it's possible that the
> problems listed at:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSKnownProblems
>
> have been fixed in 7-STABLE, and that the page needs to be significantly
> revised to sound less scary. Since I unfortunately don't have any ZFS
> systems in production any more, I'd like to ask for experiences with ZFS
> from other people. Specifically:
>
> * Are the issues on the list still there?

1. After tuning my i386 system was stable, I know of at least one other
person who still has issues with kernel panics on i386 though.

2-5. I've never run into any of the other issues on my systems.

> * Are there any new issues?

Not that I've seen.

> * Is somebody running ZFS in production (non-trivial loads) with
> success? What architecture / RAM / load / applications used?
> * How is your memory load? (does it leave enough memory for other services)

Memory load is pretty heavy.  IIUC memory used by ZFS is reported as
Wired in top and a relatively lightly loaded system with 2GB of RAM has
1225MB wired here.

> Please also note are you using the "new" ZFS port (in 8-CURRENT) or the
> "old" one (in 7-STABLE).

I'm using 7-Stable

> If the progress has been great as has been suggested, then the page's
> text could be replaced with a note saying so and maybe even the file
> system promoted from "experimental"?

I think a good chunk of the "experimental" tag is due to the lack of
maintainers for ZFS.  As far as I know PJD is still the only one that
has thorough knowledge of ZFS on FreeBSD.  At one point he stated he
doesn't want to remove the experimental tag until there is at least one
other person that knows the system well.  I've not seen anything on this
for a while though so my information could be out of date.

Jonathan