Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 07:58:30 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Tim Aslat <tim@spyderweb.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hauppauge PVR-350 -> DVD query

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:25:51 +0930
Tim Aslat <tim@spyderweb.com.au> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just wondering what would be the best way of getting the MPEG2 stream
> from a PVR-350 card to a suitable format for DVD burning.

	Disclaimer: I've not used the output from a PVR-350 for this
but I have used mpeg2 streams from several other sources.

> Currently I'm using transcode + mpeg2enc + dvdauthor but it's a bit
> slower than I'd like since this is for a semi-realtime application.

	That seems a bit heavy handed - you should be able to generate DVD
compliant VOBs from random mpeg2 streams by splitting the stream with
mpeg2desc (I use mpeg2desc -a 0 -o audio -v 0 -o video >/dev/null) and
remultimplexing with tcmplex (tcmplex -m d -o $name.vob -i video -p audio).
You get mpeg2desc from the dvddauthor port and tcmplex from the transcode
port.

	Don't try and use FIFOs between mpeg2desc and tcmplex, it doesn't
work. Fifos seem to work with mplex but often (IME) generate broken VOBs :(

> Preferably I'd rather be able to dump the captured MPEG stream directly
> to dvdauthor and be done with it, unfortunately I have to
> split the stream into audio/video, then re-multiplex, then I can feed it
> to dvdauthor.

	This is probably necessary, I suspect that the output from the
PVR-350 lacks the DVD NAV (VOBU) packets required by dvdauthor (and DVDs).

--
C:>WIN                                      | Solar Thermal Systems
The computer obeys and wins.                |      http://www.soleire.com/