Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:17:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Adaptec Slim Scsi on 4.3RC

Thanks to all who responded to my posting about having trouble
with an Adaptec Slim Scsi 1460 controller on my Dell Inspiron
4000 laptop.

I have it working, sort of... I tried a 3rd drive, an old
540meg Quantum that I had on the shelf and it works fine.

One of the drives I was using to test has turned out to have bad
blocks. That explains some of the grief. The other is a big old monster
full-height 2gb drive. It was working OK with my old 1542 controller when
I shut it down a year ago. For some reason, the Adaptec doesn't seem
to like this drive. It works for a few seconds, then times out.

With the Quantum, I do get a couple of "Timed out" messages on the initial
probing of the drive, but it attaches the drive on the 3rd try every time
and it works fine. I'm puzzled as to why I'm getting these at all,
but perhaps my drives are older than the ones that folks normally
use with this card.

My setup is as follows for the Dell Inspiron 4000, in case
other Dell users are around:

From Dmesg:
Sony PC Bus controller:
pcic0 <VLSI 82C146> at port 3e0 iomem 0Xd00000 irq 9 on isa0

In pccard.conf:

irq 3 10
Adaptec   config 0x9 "aic" ?
Dlink DFE-650  config auto "ed" ?  0x80010

-Jim Durham