Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:00:03 -0800
From:      Andre Gironda <andre@sun4c.net>
To:        David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        Andre Gironda <andre@sun4c.net>, frank@hellbell.agava.ru, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stack protecting

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 06:58:09AM -0700, David G Andersen wrote:
> Lo and behold, Andre Gironda once said:
> >
> > Stack protection doesn't work as there are still heap overflows and
> > race conditions.  it's best to apply TPE patches (Phrack, Issue 52/54),
> > like originally implemented on upt.org.  Or write perfect code ;>
>
>    While I agree with you that it's not a perfect solution, isn't that
> like saying that using a car alarm isn't a good idea, even though it will
> prevent 50% of the breakins to your car?
>
>    Defense in depth *is* a good idea.  Stackguard and like products can
> help quite a bit with this.

I wouldn't go around toting car alarms or Stackguard for full protection,
that's all. ;>  And I really doubt in either case you prevent 50% of
breakins.  There is a LOT of material available that explains the inner-
workings of heap overflows.   There is a lot of generated code that aids
a person with exploiting heap overflows.  They are readily available just like
stack overflow exploit scripts are readliy available.

If you can find a way to stack protect FreeBSD, go for it, I say.  But it's
not going to solve every problem.

dre