Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:39:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@oneinsane.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

Yes, I think that it should exist.

I also recommend a methodology to make it easy for users in
the future.

Call the lists "2.2", "3", "HEAD", etc.
 rather than "stable" and "current".

Make "stable" and "current" aliases to the appropriate lists.
(I think that I 'sold' Jordan on this strategy for the archives)

As we approach the next branch, create a list "4" which gets the same
messages as "HEAD" (automaticly cross-posted). Send out a message to
everyone on the list which (by appropriate reply) moves them from "HEAD"
to "4" if they so desire.

When the HEAD/4 split occurs, the lists are also split and the process
repeats.

On the other end, the 1.x, 2.0, etc. lists can be merged into one
"UNSUPPORTED" list by merging the lists and playing with the aliases.
The aliases can be phased out by an auto-responder that reminds to sender
that the name they are using has been deprecated.