Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:12:40 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        guru@Sisis.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmule && 6.0-REL

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:43:12AM +0100, guru@Sisis.de wrote:
> El d?a Friday, February 10, 2006 a las 02:28:43PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert escribi?:
>
> > guru@Sisis.de writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've tried to install xmule in 6.0-REL from the ports
> > > collection, but the port is broken:
> > >
> > > # cd /usr/ports/net/xmule
> > > # make
> > > ===>  xmule-1.10.0.a is marked as broken: Incomplete pkg-plist.
> > > #
> > >
> > > the FreeBSD homepage shows a recent version but in a tree which
> > > 6.0-REL not has: /usr/ports/net-p2p
> > >
> > > What is the correct way to update this tree into my 6.0-REL?
> >
> > See the FreeBSD Handbook chapter titled "The Cutting Edge."
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html
>
> Thanks for the hint but I don't belong to the 3 groups of persons
> mentioned in chapter '21.2.1.2 Who Needs FreeBSD-CURRENT' :-)
> I can't put CURRENT on my notebook and lock me out of the world
> if is does not boot anymore. I only wanted to test a small piece
> of the ports collection.

You don't need -CURRENT. You only need to update your ports-tree to
be up-to-date. Installing by hand is possible, but you lose all the
advantages of using the ports-tree; ie clean deinstalls, coherent
management of build and run dependancies, FreeBSD specific tweaks.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
   at the stake while the votes were being counted."  -- Thomas B. Reed