Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:43:17 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw and bridging [was: pf and bridging]

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Max Laier wrote:
 > On Thursday 02 December 2004 19:45, Petr Holub wrote:
 > > Hi all,
 > >
 > > I wonder if it is possible to use the new pf firewall together with
 > > bridging as it is possible to use it with ipf and ipfw.
 >
 > Unfortunately the PFIL_HOOKS in bridge.c don't work too well for pf (or ipf
 > for the same reason) thus you cannot use stateful filtering. There is an
 > ongoing discussion on freebsd-pf@ that talks about the details:
 > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2004-December/000621.html
 > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2004-December/000625.html
 > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2004-December/000631.html

Read those ones for interest, but it leaves me wondering: can you use
stateful filtering in ipfw, then?  (here ipfw1 on a 4.8-RELEASE box with
BRIDGE in kernel so far, but I imagine this would apply also to ipfw2?)

I'm aware that one can only filter incoming packets, so I've always
wondered whether stateful rules made any sense in a bridge context?
(showing off my complete ignorance of the ipfw stateful code)

Cheers, Ian