Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2018 21:29:09 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        merlyn@stonehenge.com
Subject:   Re: any problem going from 9.x (don't laugh) to 11 directly?

--On February 14, 2018 at 8:19:07 PM -0500 John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
wrote:

> In article <86lgfvi20e.fsf@red.stonehenge.com> you write:
>> I'm on 9.3, and intended to use freebsd-update.
>
> In that case I'd go to 10.4, poke at that long enough to make sure
> things work, then go to 11.1.
>
> You can probably eventually fix what breaks if you try to skip 10.x
> but that seems needless pain.
>
> The functional differences between 10.4 and 11.1 are not huge, and
> 10.4 is supported through the end of October so you can easily wait a
> month or more between the two updates.  If you're feeling really lazy,
> wait until early October and hope that 11.2 is out by then so you can
> skip 11.1.

I recently upgraded from 10.4 to 11.1. It did not go well. (I used
freebsd-update) After the first reboot, the server did not come back up.
Somehow, the rc.conf file got munged up, and the server failed to boot. I
don't know the exact details, because I didn't have console access.

Anyway, you want to be sure you have console access before doing the
upgrade, just in case things don't go as planned.

Paul Schmehl, Retired