Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:32:49 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Joe Christy <joe@digital-integrity.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, joe@eshu.net
Subject:   Re: update 3.3 => 4.1 buildworld dies

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:21:38AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <200009171606.e8HG6oE05354@whimper.dii.local> Joe Christy writes:
> :         Upgrading my i386 box from 3.3-RELEASE to 4.1-RELEASE,
> : cvsup'ed last night, buildworld dies compiling the GNU binutils'
> : objdump:
>
> You need to upgrade to at least 3.4 before making the jump to 4.1.

	I wouldn't say ``need'' since I've managed to successfully
	upgrade from 3.2 to 4.X twice.  But it was painful; I followed
	the UPDATING advice and experiences religiously... and still
	managed to yank fistfulls of hair from my head.

	3.2 to 4.X is possible, but only if you persevere.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix