Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:56:59 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Wayne Knowles <w.knowles@niwa.cri.nz>
To:        dennis@etinc.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnode_if.c wont compile - MORE INFO

At 03:55 PM 11/27/98 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>> vnode_if.c:40: `vop_strategy_desc' undeclared here (not in a function)
>> vnode_if.c:40: initializer element for `vfs_op_descs[1]' is not constant
>> vnode_if.c:47: parse error before `int'
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Just did a 'config GENERIC" and a make.
>
>Did you 'make depend' first?

>Yes. 'make depend' completes successfully.

>one example:

>struct vop_lease_args

>I cant find this structure defined anywhere? Its seems that some include
>file is
>missing, or in the wrong path...where should these vop_ functions be declared?

Dennis,

I get a similar problem if /usr/src/sys is NFS mounted onto a 3.0-current
server (while running 2.2.7R on the client).   The only difference is that
the file is vnode_if.h   If you look at vnode_if.h a page of zero's has
been dropped into the middle of it.   Both files are generated by a script
as part of the Makefile - there is a good chance it could be related.

The file is OK on the server, and if you touch the file on either the
server or the client the uncorrupted file reappears and the kernel build
completes.

I plan to track it down further when I get spare time.

Is your filesystem NFS mounted ?  Does touch vnode_if.* fix the problem ?

Wayne
--
  _____	   	Wayne Knowles,  Systems Manager
 / o   \/   	National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd