Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:07:44 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/22042: spelling error

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 12:44:29PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 03:32:31AM -0800, opentrax@email.com wrote:
> > I  don't concur. "Seperation of tasks" usually involve
> > tasks that don't merit replication. Certainly FreeBSD can
> > gain by providing a response that is much more pro-active.

I do not agree. Just think about it. The PR system does record every single
PR ever sent, even after it is closed. Why? Because people might find it
useful later to browse the PR database and see how a problem was resolved
(or why it wasn't despite the PR being closed)

Now think about your suggestion: The PR system would end up with many
entries that only say: Thank you, forwarded! and then are closed. These are
worthless as PRs. They just take up space and make maintaining and using the
database more difficult. Also, as Nik pointed out, they take up a
developler's time just to type this "Thank you!" note to you and send
(possibly only forward) your query to the other party. This is not even
about people not having time: This is simply not the way things work. If we
took it upon us to, say, take PRs for X then soon people like you would ask:
"Why can't I just enter a PR about a port and you guys contact the author?
It would be soooo proactive!" It surely would be very convenient to you, but
the FreeBSD PR system is *not* meant to be your one-stop-shop for all
problems related to your use of a computer with FreeBSD on it. (esp since X
is not even a base system. And don't argue that it comes on the same CD and
can be installed by sysinstall, since all of the ports are the same in this
regard, too.)

No commercial vendor, even the ones who charge for support contracts, will
take and forward bug-reoprts for you. Neither will the grocery store forward
your query/complaints to the pharmacy or the hardware store.
You will have to do it, by yourself in both cases. This
has got nothing to do with FreeBSD being the best OS or not. This is the way
things work. You have to address your problems to where they belong. You can
ask, where they belong, but after that you have to go there. The only
exception to this is rule is public administration in many countries: Even
if you file say a form with the wrong agency they will forward it for you.
But this is the *only* exception and only so because they are required to do
so by law.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM