Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 04:06:15 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        Christopher Kelley <bsd@kelleycows.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: libtool note in UPDATING

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:42:03 -0600
"Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:53:57 -0600, Kris Kennaway
> <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 02:06:55PM -0800, Christopher Kelley wrote:
> >> Am I reading the entry for libtool in UPDATING correctly?  It
> >> seems to me to basically say "There's no way to tell you how to
> >> successfully update your ports with the new libtool, hope you
> >> really understand how all the ports interact with each other, good
> >> night and good luck."
> >>
> >> Now, I *DO* sort of understand the need for this change from
> >> reading the entry, and I'm not arguing the fact that the change
> >> needed to be made. I just don't know where to go from here because
> >> now I'm afraid to update any of my ports since I'm not sure I
> >> would understand the output of the -n flag enough to figure out
> >> how to update my ports.
> >>
> >> Is there a more straightforward explanation of how to upgrade
> >> ports with the new libtool?
> >
> > Basically, portupgrade -a should be OK (but watch out for the perl
> > upgrade as well, i.e. read that entry too).  If you run into
> > problems let us know; I'd like to refine that entry with a working
> > prescription before the release.
>
> I doubt the 'portupgrade -a' will working on any ports that depend
> on glib12, gtk12 and etc. I would go with -af or -afr to force
> rebuild all apps if you want to use portupgrade instead remove ports
> and reinstall stuff as suggested in the UPDATING.

portupgrade -Rfp `ls -1 /var/db/pkg/`
followed by a
portupgrade -Rp ` portversion -vL= | sed 's/[ ]*<.*$//' `
left me with only jdk-1.5.0p2_2, kdesdk-3.5.1, kdevelop-3.3.1 and
subversion-1.3.0_3 (plus other 3 fixed in the mean time) not upgraded
out of 750 ports on my desktop (basically all kde and gnome, linux
compat, devel and multimedia stuff).

Took 3 days+ on a amd64 3200+ (running i386 mode) with 1GB dual-channel
RAM and WRKDIRPREFIX set to a separate from /usr SATA disk; all was
done while running KDE, azureus, mysql and some other things; the good
part is that it didn't interrupt my work.

Before starting portupgrade I did a make config-recursive twice for all
installed ports since I didn't build ports on this machine in the last
months (installed from packages built on an other box) and I'm far from
using the defaults. And yes, I do HATE ports that use custom scripts
when they could use OPTIONS.

Of course, the above can't be the way for an UPDATING entry :)

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

BOFH excuse #201: