Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:12:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        lesha@intercaf.ru
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proxim WiFi cards anyone?

In message: <51001.192.169.41.44.1091266090.squirrel@webmail.intercaf.ru>
            lesha@intercaf.ru writes:
: Hello, all!
:
: Today I have bought myself new Proxim Orinoco Gold b/g card
: to replace my old Lucent Orinoco b one.
:
: New card is working fine with the ath driver, but...
: Signal strength and radio perfomance are very nasty.
:
: Where my old card gave me signal strength of 106
: new one gives only 51. (that is 5m away from AP)
: (same AP, same channels, same everything)
:
: It is not working even in next room to the AP.
:
: What can be the problem, or just Proxim got lame engineers?

Lame antenna.  Also, the signal strength, as reported by FreeBSD, can
be radically different when the RF levels are exactly the same.
Different firmware has different formulas to convert the values that
are reported.  Also, different antennas have different gains.

Warner