Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 95 11:14:44 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UID > 65536 works ?

> I removed the UID > 65536 check in pw_mkdb, and then created a uid of 250000.
> Everything appeared to work as would be expected, is there any reason this
> check is there, other than historical?  And can we remove it?

The check is there for interoperability with FreeBSD as an NIS master
or slave (not client) with a non-FreeBSD slave or client (not master).

This is because in order for the entries to be useful on most older
systems, you have to fit their idea of uid_t and gid_t.

On FreeBSD, these are unsigned longs; on older systems, they are unsigned
(or even signed) shorts.

By moving this restriction, you are breaking interoperability.

Potentially, the line transfer representation in NIS would cause the
values to be truncated before they are sent out (instead of being
truncated by the recieving system).  I haven't checked the NIS code
to be sure ...but you can while you are in there putting it back 8-).

Probably, the code wants comments to this effect so it doesn't happen
again.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---