Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:07:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        PicoBSD List <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: crunchgen issue ...

> > ssh had a similar problem, and i had to patch it (in the picobsd/ssh port)
> > extensively to fix the problem and avoid having to include a replica
> > of the "library" for each binary that used it.
>
> right, that's what made me give up on SSH before. Did you
> feed back your changes to the ssh maintenance? That's where
> I'm afraid the problem ends up being.

the picobsd port of ssh handles this ok, but it is for the
partly-restricted version of ssh, and no, i have not emailed the
ssh people about this problem.

The openssh in our source is too bloated, it links in about 500KB
of libraries (with the same misuse of libraries) so even fixing
the library problem would not make it useable for picobsd purposes
(on floppy at least).

> You're right that the special libs approach leads to replicating
> those libraries into multiple programs that use them, but
> sometimes I only use one. I'm afraid that eventually naming
> conflicts between such private libraries are not avoidable even
> with good c-coding. So, it may remain to be the problem of the
> crunchgen user ... so crunchgen could still help here.

In these cases, wouldn't it suffice to put the library name in the
OBJS variable of the Makefile ? This would also reflect more
accurately the actual use of the "library", which really
becomes just a set of objects which might be needed for the
build.

	cheers
	luigi