Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2012 23:10:13 GMT
From:      Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala@hinterbergen.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/141918: [ehci] ehci_interrupt: unrecoverable error, controller halted (sparc64)

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/141918; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala@hinterbergen.de>
To: Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: sparc64/141918: [ehci] ehci_interrupt: unrecoverable error,
 controller halted (sparc64)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 01:00:56 +0200

 --Sig_/FD.bT1F1mdRCMwfDMJiTH.3

 On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 12:41:24 +0200
 Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de> wrote:

 > Well, the individual patches shouldn't make things worse except for
 > the second one causing more memory to be used so I'd suggest to
 > combine them. If in the end things actually work we still can check
 > what changes are needed for that.
 > Looking at the Linux USB code, the FreeBSD one doesn't some to honor
 > some DMA constraints and at least for the alignment it's actually
 > hard to follow what value eventually is used. One thing that stands
 > out is that for EHCI, the boundary is 4096. This is most easily fixed
 > by defining USB_PAGE_SIZE to 4096 in sys/dev/usb/usb_busdma.h.
 >=20
 > Marius

 Ok, the second patch on its own doesn't appear to work either, so I'm
 trying the combination of patches now. By the way: defining USB_PAGE_SIZE
 to 4096 in sys/dev/usb/usb_busdma.h is a bad idea - the kernel panics with
 a backtrace pointing into the mmu-related code. Probably has to do with
 sparc64 mmu only supporting 8k pages, so I'm not terribly surprised...
 Ok, I'm waiting for the next make buildkernel to finish, and I'll let
 you know what comes out.

 Manuel

 --=20
 Homepage: http://www.hinterbergen.de/mala