Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:17:39 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-related problems

In message <199904141501.LAA25847@kot.ne.mediaone.net>, Mikhail Teterin writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp once stated:
>
>=malloc() on FreeBSD returns NULL when it cannot allocate the memory
>=asked for.
>
>=If you have an example where this is not the case I would VERY
>=much like to see it.
>
>I believe, a number of examples were given, when the use of the non-NULL
>pointer returned by malloc resulted in the program being killed.

No, the examples I have seen showed the system killing a (somewhat)
random large process in an attempt to avoid deadlock.

I guess you can interpret it the way above if you insist on using a
very narrow application oriented focus.

Ignoring the larger issues is not a modus operandi I subscribe to.

Anyway, what you're asking for is really resource reservation.

Sorry FreeBSD doesn't support resource reservation for memory.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!