Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 01:51:06 -0400
From:      "Tien Duc Nguyen" <bg591591@er.uqam.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   console on ttyd0 hangs freebsd

hi all,

This problem has been nagging me for some time now and i have approched it
from every possible angle.

My setup:

WTI serial switch with 16 RS-232 ports;
16 null modem-cable connecting each of these ports to the first serial port
of my servers, all FreeBSD, from 4.3 release  to 4.6 Stable/Release.

My problem is that for certain servers (3 actually), if i enable console
access on the serial (by editing /etc/ttys and adding the line for ttyd0 to:
ttyd0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   cons25  on secure), within 3-4
seconds, the OS freezes completely. This can be reproduced indefinitely.

At first i thought it was related to the os; the problematic servers runs
respectively: FreeBSD 4.4-REL, 4.5-REL and 4.6-STABLE. This can't be, the
same (possible) bug in three different iteration of the os!

Then I noticed that the sio messages on these 3 machines we're different
from the one's where serial was working, namely this:

sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 8250
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

instead of this:

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

So I figured, the culprit may be something related to the serial ports' irq.
So I recompiled the kernel, changed the default irq of each sio to one that
hopefully wasn't used by the system (after checking /var/run/dmesg.boot).
But that stopped the kernel altogether, when detecting the ppc/lp devices.

I'm pretty shure it's the irq; how can i change the irq of sio to some irq
not used by the system?

Tien Duc