Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 96 15:07:35 CDT
From:      bartling@cyrix.com (Steve Bartling)
To:        bartling@mega.cyrix.com (Steve Bartling)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, dietz@cyrix.com (Carl Dietz)
Subject:   Re: Irwin ( exabyte 8200 ) and Freebsd 2.1.5 RESOLVED

For those of you with the 1742A or other aging Adaptec products ...

I spent 1 week trying to determine why an Exabyte 8mm tape
drive would not work under Freebsd 2.1.5 or Windows95 with an
Adaptec 1742A.

Symptoms ... :

Freebsd 2.1.5 would properly recognize the tape drive upon
boot and could read tapes, but not write tapes. Attempting to
write the tape would cause SCSI bus lockup ( a hard reset is required ).

Windows95 could recognize the tape drive with various backup
programs ( Arcada, etc ). However, attempts to write the drive would
lock up the SCSI bus. Unlike Freebsd however, the drivers under
windows 95 could recognize the bus problem and would reset the
SCSI bus. I would really like to know how this is done.

Solutions :

The Adaptec 1742A bios/microcode was not up to date. My card
had the following designations on the bios/microcode eproms :

450113-00 D
MCODE B7D6

450216-00 A
BIOS DC00

Downloading the latest bios/microcode from Adaptec's web page fixed
the SCSI bus hang condition. There are two firmware updates on their
web page. The firmware file named 174XA.EXE has a corrupted bios
file. Do NOT use this firmware. The firmware file named 174XAS.EXE has
the more recent bios/microcode and is not corrupted. Please make sure
that you use the same EPROM types/speed as the original board uses.
Please note that the bios revision number that is displayed at
boot time does not change ( maybe microcode is the only thing
changed ? ). I do not know what was wrong with the old bios/microcode
as Adaptec's on line documentation on the firmware upgrades was
nil/non-existent and I never heard back from their technical support.

Also, the switch settings on the MX controller card for the Exabyte
tape drive need to be tweaked. The card was set for fixed
block size mode. The best setting is variable block mode. The parity
checking was disabled ... this needs to be enabled if the rest of
your scsi peripherals have parity checking enabled ( like mine ).
Remember, parity must be ON for all devices, or OFF for all devices
on the same scsi bus. Another useful thing to change is the memory
check during scsi bus reset ( or power-on reset ). It takes about
60 - 70 seconds to complete this test and this will delay your
DOS/windows95/unix boot until the test is completed. If you change
this setting to disable this test, boot times are greatly enhanced.
Note: reaching these switches is a pain in the butt.

For the switch settings, please see the Exabyte web page at
http://www.Exabyte.COM/TechnicalSupport/ProductSupport/answers/in0111.html

I want to thank those of you who responded. I especially want to
thank everyone at Exabyte for the following reasons :

1) Exabyte actually supports old products. Their web page is loaded
   with information about older out of production stuff. They
   even provide invaluable DOS based tape drive test programs.
   Every firmware revision is thoroughly documented so that the
   history is evident and you can evaluate if you need to upgrade
   your current firmware.

   Most tape drive vendors only have info on their current products
   in their web pages.

   Believe it or not, I actually decided to purchase an Exabyte
   8mm drive instead of other vendors 4mm drives due to their
   support for old products. After spending 3 weeks browsing
   web sites, BBS sites, old product reviews, etc ... I decided
   on Exabyte.

2) Exabyte actually responded to my email about the problems I was
   having. This is in stark contrast to Seagate and Adaptec from whom
   I never heard anything. In addition, the support personnel at
   Exabyte are well trained and knowledgeable. Many thanks to
   Lance Blumberg at Exabyte !!!.

Thanks to everyone who responded ...

- Steve Bartling

P.S. My original message is appended below.