Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:17:09 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P6 Natoma chipset

>> >Do you think FreeBSD will run onto it using 1 CPU or ...

>> There is no reason why it wouldn't run on it...  (And in fact, I would
>> expect the FreeBSD experimental SMP code to run on it with both CPUs.)

>Would be nice if you could give me further informations on this
>topic ... I think two P90 overclocked to 100 MHz on a multiprocessor
>board would be a nice system ... Or what do you think about this
>(little) overclocking ?! It runs here since months ...

That should work fine, and would make a fairly fast system.  Running a
P90 at 100MHz is probably not a big deal.  However, just remember that
the SMP code in FreeBSD is very alpha-quality.  Which means it might
be fun to play with, but it might also be pretty unstable at times.
Stick with motherboards you know have a good reputation if you decide
to go dual-CPU.

>Since I buy a new CPU/System every or every two years, it doesn't
>matter for me, if the CPU has a lifetime of 2 or 10 years ;-)

Well, P6 prices are starting to fall, now.  If you really want the
ultimate speed, you might consider getting a Pentium Pro.  On the
other hand, if you want a lot of hardware cheap, Pentiums and 6x86s
are starting to get in that real sweet spot where you get the most
bang for the buck.  I think the 200MHz Pentium is a waste, though.  It
is just too fast for the bus, and ends up wasting most of its cycles
waiting for data.  If you look at the benchmarks, it's barely faster
than a P5/166.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.