Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:38:50 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: use of /etc/defaults/make.conf?

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> What is the purpose of /etc/defaults/make.conf?
> All it's lines are marked as comments.

I don't know if this is the official line, but it looks like it has
everything that can be changed and is a template for the options that
you can use in your specialized version.

> As I undertand the files in /etc/defaults are not to be changed.
> One should change the corresponding files in /etc/. Is that
> statement correct?

Yes, you take the line from defaults and add it to the corresponding
file in /etc. All I have in mine is

USA_RESIDENT=YES
HAVE_MOTIF=YES
USE_128BIT=YES
COMPAT22=yes
COMPAT3x=yes

NOPROFILE=true

CFLAGS= -O -pipe

I find I have to keep checking because USA keeps being set to no by
cvsup or make world.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart