Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:14:10 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?

> http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/16107.html

FreeBSD probably wasn't on their radar.  More helpful indeed would any
suggestions on your part (and possibly organizational efforts) on what
it takes to get on mexican radar screens.

As is my usual gripe in advocacy, what we really need around here
aren't a bunch of firemen who arrive at the scene of the fire well
after it has already consumed the building and stand around saying
meaningful things like "This was a fire!  It appears to have burned
down the building!  Fires are bad, someone should do something."

Such firemen are obviously of no use at all and should probably go
into less challenging professions like chicken inspection or lavatory
maintenance.  What we need are firemen who actually arrive in time to
have a meaningful affect on fires *as they are happening* or can turn
practical expertise towards preventing fires in the first place. :-)

In this specific case, what would have constituted attacking the fire
rather than the ashes would have been to let me know about this well
before the selection process took place so that I could have sent
these folks some evaluation CDs and possibly a book or two.  I send
literally tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise to schools
and other educational programs every year and will continue to do so,
but people still have to tell me where to send them since I'm not
psychic here, folks!

- Jordan