Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 02:41:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIC7892 / Adaptec 29160

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, David Bushong wrote:

>I had the exact same problem with the exact same motherboard.  I finally
>gave up at stuck a Tekram DC-390U3 in the box and it's worked like a charm.
>Obviously, this is not the answer you wanted (I was on a deadline).  Also,
>sadly, I didn't realize that there are two different shapes of 64-bit PCI
>slots and the 370DL3 only has one shape and the Tekram is the other, so I
>had to use it as a 32-bit card..  You can find my posts and pondering about
>possible explanations with a search on either freebsd-scsi or freebsd-stable..
>don't remember which.

That's not good news at all for a $500 motherboard or $200 64-bit PCI
SCSI controller.  I've seen plenty of posts in the archives from people
with working 29160s.  There's has got to be a fix to my problem.
Hopefully somebody out there has an idea.

>On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 06:09:04PM -0400, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
>> I've been having a devil of a time installing 4.1-RELEASE on a machine
>> with a Supermicro 370DL3.  The machine has a built in AIC7892 Ultra160
>> SCSI controller.  I've tried LVD, UW, and narrow drives on all three
>> connectors along with different cables and different drives.  No
>> combination will be successful.  The install always picks a random point
>> during the install of the bin dist to hang.  Sometimes if I wait around
>> long enough I will get a panic with SCB errors.  To make sure the
>> problem wasn't the SCSI controller I stuck an Adaptec 29160 in one of
>> the 64-bit PCI slots and hooked the drive to that, turning the onboard
>> SCSI controller off in the BIOS.  I still receive the same behavior from
>> sysinstall.  This leads me to believe it is an issue related to 29160
>> support in 4.1-RELEASE.  I don't have any Ultra160 capable drives but
>> I've tried LVD 80, UW 40, and UN 20 drives on the appropriate
>> connectors.  Does anybody. anywhere have any advice on how to get
>> FreeBSD installed on this machine and then how to make sure it's not
>> going to crash in the future?  My problem appears very similiar to this
>> one found in the archives but not followed up on:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1702308+1705755+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000319.freebsd-questions
>>
>> Brandon D. Valentine
>> --
>> bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
>> "Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying