Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:22:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Mcclain Looney <mcclain@looneys.net>, <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best IDE for slow system?

> | Generally it is a very bad idea to create Java GUIs with automatic GUI
> | editors.
>
> Hmm.  I do know of one example when I used Forte to make a GUI, and then
> ended up completely reorganizing the code, since the generator made a
> lot of assumptions that were untrue or unnecessary.  Is that the kind of
> problem you are alluding to?

Yes, exactly. Also sometimes when you change something in the generated
code the GUI builder refuses to parse it and you are on your own.
Somebody mentioned Visaj and even though I've never tried it the idea of
providing visual editors for real java LayoutManagers sounds right. So I'd
use either that or code it by hand. My experience shows that 90% of simple
dialogs can be done with BorderLayuout in a couple of minutes and when you
get something complicated you just need the GridBagLayout (esp. if it will
be resizable). Face it as I did: you will need to learn how to use
GridBagLayout :)