Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 07:53:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, pplantier@adelphia.net
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

>Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:35:26 -0500
>From: Spencer Plantier <pplantier@adelphia.net>

>Where do I find TCP dump for Freebsd?

In order for this to be useful for -newbies, I think it's better to
discuss how one might determine the answer to this.

One approach would be to look at the man page -- "man tcpdump".

Unfortunately (in this case), the "synopsis" line doesn't show the full
pathname.  (That might possibly be worth sending a PR about, if a patch
is included.)

As a system administrator, though, I tend to include some directories in
my "execution search path" (defined by the shell variable PATH) that
aren't put in folks' paths by default... so I can do:

pau-amma[15]% which tcpdump
/usr/sbin/tcpdump
pau-amma[16]%

So on this system (pau-amma), it's in /usr/sbin.  And that actually
makes some sense -- and finally, here's a resource that folks might not
know about, but that can be useful:

	man hier

The name may seem obscure; it's short for "hierarchy".  But that "man"
page describes the intended purpose of the directories generally present
in a FreeBSD system.

And the line for /usr/sbin says "system daemons & system utilities
(executed by users)".

Hope that's useful for someone,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915