Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 19:36:09 -0800
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        neuhauser@mobil.cz, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: looking for XFree86 4.2

On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:53:54 -0800
"Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:

> > >     # cd /usr/ports/x11/wrapper/
> > >     # make install
> > >     # exit
> > >     > startx
> >
> > Done that, still startx will only complain. running Xwrapper itself results in only a grey screen with a curser.
>
> Did you install wrapper after the installation of 4.2?

Yes

> If not: cd /usr/ports/x11/wrapper
> make deinstall

Did make deinstall.

> make reinstall

When I did make reinstall I get this error:

wrapper1.0_1 forbidden: this port is for XFree86-4

So then I did this -
chip# XFree86 -version
XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System

> Also, can you post the error you got? The text of the error should be > in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

-rwxrwxrwx   1 root  wheel   1015 Feb  5 17:35 XFree86.0.log
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1015 Feb  7 16:37 XFree86.0.old
Tonite, Feb 7, I copied the log to old, the restarted X. As you can see in the above, the log was not updated even though I changed the permissions to 777 just to see if that was causing it to not write when I was trying to start X on my user account.

Here is the error I get when trying to run startx on my user account -

fatal server error: XF86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions. You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm. We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or Server shutdown).

When I run XWrapper I get a gray screen and mouse cursor only, as user and as root.

startx (and startxfce) works fine only when logged on as root. I really don't want to use xdm. This is my home personal computer and don't need a graphical login, I rarely shut it off or reboot it intentionally.

--
Chip
www.wiegand.org