Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:25:31 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: @dirrm share/locale/...

++ 23/12/01 01:03 +0000 - Christian Weisgerber:
| We have a couple of ports that have "@dirrm share/locale/..." in
| their pkg-plist.

I don't think this is necessary at all -- ports that have things in
share/locale most likely depend on the gettext port, and when the
gettext port is deinstalled, those directories will be removed.

| I think this is clearly wrong, but when I approached a maintainer,
| he insisted that this is correct because "dirrm removes a dir only
| if it is empty".  True enough, but it also throws error messages
| if the directory is not empty.  We could use something like this
|
| @unexec rmdir %D/share/locale/... 2>/dev/null || true
|
| (from the Porter's Handbook, and there's another bunch of ports
| that uses this), but the gettext locale directories are shared by
| so many programs that it doesn't seem worth deleting them.
|
| Can we get a definitive pronouncement on this?

I think if you _know_ the directory might not be empty, the @unexec
rmdir ... approach is better, no doubt.  Just look at almost any p5-*
port in the tree...

-pete

--
Pete Fritchman [petef@(databits.net|freebsd.org|csh.rit.edu)]