Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 23:32:54 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Justin McKnight <jmcknigh@stevens-tech.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dual-Booting win2k and FreeBSD

Justin McKnight wrote:

> i need help dual booting win200 and freebsd4.2. Win200 is already installed
> casue i wanted to use its bootmanager for loading each OS. I know win2k and
> load openbsd so figure i wont have any trouble dual booting with freebsd.
> Now I cant find any documentation on dual booting win2k and freebsd. I need
> help!

I haven't booted to a different drive. That changes how you do things.
I have a 2GB FAT16 and FreeBSD is next. What I did was copy
/boot/boot1 to my boot drive as bootsect.bsd and added it to my
boot.ini. It works like magic after that. The line I used in boot.ini
is
c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD"

You usually have to reset the active partition after you get through
installing FreeBSD. You may tell it to leave everything alone but it
still tinkers with your boot setup. It wouldn't run otherwise. I have
a Win98se startdisk and use fdisk to reset the active partition.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com