Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:05:49 -0400
From:      Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM T30: more thermal problems

Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> Tobias Roth wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> The days are getting hotter and my T30 coredumps more and more. I get
>> the usual sig4 and sig11 during buildworlds, which are strong indicators
>> of hardware problems.
>
> I have a T30 here and it was getting real hot and it cooled down in what
> seems like about 50% by elevating the laptop up by a 1/2" on all four
> corners.  The hot air exhaust cooled down in about 90 seconds.
>
> I feel laptops like this should have "lifts" on all four corners that
> fold in and out like the lifts on keyboards.

My A30p has the exhaust at the back left corner under the screen. When the
fan turns on the exhaust blows straight out the side (in the direction my
floppy drive is facing.)

The more I think about it the more I appreciate that design. It surprises
me sometimes if the fan turns on and my hand is near the exhaust port, but
it's much less likely of getting accidentally clogged than if the exhaust
pointed straight down.

I mean, what if you had to use your LAPtop on your lap? I guess you'd just
have to remind yourself to leave a gap between your knees...

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,