Date:               Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:45:29 -0600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         FAQ or white paper on .ORG particulars

Pardon the off-topic post: where would I look for this subject on the Web?

In other words, at the point that I want to get a domain name registered for
a non-commercial function (presumably a .org), are there any prerequisites I
should be aware of?  Two name servers and someone willing to route a class C
address I pretty much know about already, having already crowbarred my
present company on the Internet (and a branch office to follow).

The rules for .com, .net, and so on seem pretty clear-cut, but all "Zen and
the Art of the Internet" seems to say on .org is:

org
This is a domain reserved for private organizations, who don't
comfortably fit in the other classes of domains.  One example is the
Electronic Frontier Foundation named eff.org.

Such as being registered as non-profit with somebody, showing a membership,
etc.  Or is it as simple as picking a unique "something.org" (and the ISP,
registration/maintenance fees) because I want a domain name of my own (which
I'd prefer)?  The day will certainly come when I'm not at this wonderful
company, and I'd rather not be a shell account on someone else's system,
except as a temporary evil.

thanks for any info,
larry