Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:10:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike <spork@startrekmail.com>
To:        "Ben J. Cohen" <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redirection of processes and of X clients

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Ben J. Cohen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have two questions which are slightly related.
>
> Firstly, is it possible to change the terminal a program is attached to
> while it is running?
>
> For example, if I am running talk, is it possible to move the program from
> ttyp2 to ttyv1 on the same machine (e.g. prior to shutting X down if I
> don't want to lose the connection)?
>
> I don't know how this might be achieved, but I know that if you have a
> program in the background, kill -SIGCONT pid will make it run in the
> foreground (in some sense).
> However, I don't see how to apply this in the case where a program is
> attached to a terminal.

I don't believe what you want is at easily feasible. A process sent to the
background is still attached to your terminal. What you want to do is set
the STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR file descriptors to a different terminal.
Unless the program supports the ability to reassign its STD* file
descriptors, I don't think you can do this.

> Secondly, I would like to know if the "equivalent" for X is possible,
> namely, if I am running a program in a window on an X server (e.g.
> bjc23:0) can I move it to another X server while it is still running (e.g.
> bjc23:1 or remotesite:0)?
>
> This would be handy if I left something running on my machine and want to
> access it.

I don't know if you can do this.

> (VNC can do this, presumably, but it would be nice if it could be done
> with X alone.)
>
> --------
>
> In the first case, I can sometimes use the watch utility (with the -W
> option), but this doesn't work in the example of keeping talk open if I
> shut X down.  Also, watch doesn't handle ^Z properly and ^X isn't then
> usable.
>
> In the second case, I saw a utility mentioned in the mailing list
> archives, ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/utilities/xwatchwin.tar.Z, but I can't
> get it to compile.  I don't know if it allows write access (like watch -W)
> and it would leave the window open on the other X server, which isn't
> perfect.
>
> --------
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com
	 Finger gronimw@shell.stuy.edu for PGP public key.

		The majority only rules those who let them.